Monday, 11 June 2012

I'm All At Sea for Sarah Jane


My fabric crush 'du jour' has to be the fabulous Out To Sea by Sarah Jane for Michael Miller Fabrics. I am so in love with this nautically themed collection that's perfect for girls and boys of all ages.

I don't often Blog about new collections as that alone would be a full time job, but this one is so versatile I'm dizzy with thoughts of what I could to make with it all.
Sarah Jane has been working on these designs for nearly 18 months and has produced 3 utterly gorgeous colorways, Ahoy There, Deep Sea jewel and Morning Coral each telling a great story.
Our house so needs at least one of these pouffes (floor cushion).   Sarah jane's inspiration was the classic elements of Maritime Fancies along with how children imagine and play.
See how little fingers could run along the ship paths - the above picture is embroidered, the real fabric has printed dashed lines.  

How crazy, these super prints make me giggle inside when I browse through them!
The collection is a genius mix of large scale prints and small ditzy prints, which makes for lots and lots of variations in project making.

Every child (young and old) dreams of adventures on the see, this collection is Sarah Jane's offering to the whimsy of maritime travel.

I'll have one each of these dresses please both for me and my daughter!
Inspiration for the boys too, check out that funky messenger bag.
Sarah Jane says "What I love about this fabric, is that it’s considered quilting grade fabric, but the weave is a new quality called Cotton Couture.  It is much, much softer and lighter than the traditional quilting grade, but….it’s not 100% apparel grade either!  I’ve been sewing bedding and quilts all week, and it’s amazing to home dec, quilt and apparel with. My, my, my. I’m in love."
Here are Sarah Jane's pictures at International Quilt Market in Kansas City, Missouri 2012.

I love the nautical design without being all skull and cross bones and negative aggressive themes, just gentle childish dreams.

I love the way the boy fabrics and girl fabrics seamlessly coordinate, but still maintaining very distinct color feelings.
Sarah Jane explains "I needed to tell the story of children playing pirates, and dreaming of mermaids…and find just the right palette that parents would find beautiful too".  I think she's hit that note perfectly.

The show was a huge success. At the start of the second day, a committee of people with a big fat ribbon presented her with the Creativity Award.
You can see the Award was well deserved.
Love this log cabin cushion and super cute embroidery.
And utterly gorgeous quilt below.


Sarah Jane will be sharing more on this later…but each project in the booth was designed for a BLOG TOUR once the fabric is launched August 5th.  She will be featuring each project (and more!) with links to the respective sewer who will have a Free Tutorial and/or pattern available for you to make your own! Stay tuned in July for that.  How generous is that!!?

There are maps for voyages.

Characters to play the parts.

Teeny tiny prints for teeny tiny projects.

And prints for great big chunky projects - check out that quilt behind the chair.

Fabric that's also perfect for the sweetest Bebe projects.
And for sophisticated ladies too.
This wonderful quilt was designed by Amy Smart over at Diary of a Quilter.  She designed it with Sarah Jane, to go with her map and ship panels.  There will be a free PDF pattern for this quilt when the fabric is released later this summer (Woohoo!!!).
Still loving this dress - for me please!

Sarah Jane wanted the Navy blue to really shine and not get overpowered by the traditional heavy reds.  So she let it coordinate with just the right pinks, blues, greys and oranges to make it a modern and fresh take on a nautical theme.
And for those of you who, like me, cannot wait the fabric will be in stores from 1st August.  Plenty of time to start planning your project.

Check out Sarah Jane's Blog and Website for the latest news on Out To Sea and all the lovely projects she'll be sharing.

Thank you as always for dropping by.

8 comments:

Allegory said...

I have been counting down the days until this fabric comes out. If I could order bolts of it, I would!

KC'sCourt! said...

That fabric is absolutely gorgeous. I love Nautical fabrics so I'm off to seek her out.
Julie xxxxxxxxxx

Kandi said...

Ohh gorgeous I am a sucker for anything nautical and will be watching out for this! x

Jenny said...

Wow wow wow this is the first time I've seen this collection, cannot wait for it! Imagine the possibilities.... ahhhhhh happy sigh! x

sl.tudor said...

O me o my..i may just have to have some of that fabric..its so gorgeous and i am pretty sure my 2 littlies will love it..
sara

Venkat venkatesh said...

Nice blog... thanks for sharing with us..

http://www.atmospheredirect.com/categories/Fabrics/

Fabric Carolina said...

Interesting... magnolia fabric

myfabricconnection said...

Nice Work Duralee Fabric