Monday, 9 January 2012

Well Hello Dolly!

First and foremost a very Happy New Year 2012 and thank you for all your very kind wishes during my 'Blog Break'.  Things are still pretty tricky, but less so with Christmas out of the way.

To start the New Year and back blogging I thought I would introduce Amelie II, a fabulous doll I made for our daughter, Amelie, for Christmas.  She named her Amelie II as she was made in her likeness - although less cheeky!

I made her from this gorgeous book Wee Wonderfuls by Hillary Lang - she's on the front cover, although my version has a side parting like Amelie.
Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love
And what is this?  Another Amelie II in 'dress down', ready to bake or dust.  This is in fact the same doll as it's a 'Topsy Turvy' doll.  
The picture below has her skirt slightly turned so you can see the 'other head'.  Not sure why I didn't just roll her skirt right up so you can see her other half completely.  Maybe it's because our 9 year old son, Lukas, says it freaks him out as it looks like she's giving birth to the other doll - so I'm sparing you the horror! LOL Or maybe it just seems inappropriate.
I have a bit of a thing for doll patterns at the moment and thought I would share some of my favourite from the 'fountain of crafty knowledge' that is Pinterest.
Ruby Doll by One Red Robin, I love the use of fabric.  
Pinky Doll by Mariska isn't a tutorial but you can buy the pattern.  I love her expression!

Dolly Donation Rag Dolly by Sarah - Tutorial and Free Pattern.  These dolls are divine!


Black Apple Doll Pattern and Tutorial over at Martha Stewart Crafts Super cute!

A really great 'Design Your Own' Rag Doll Tutorial by Becoming Martha
Blossom Babies - Lily
Cute Dolls made and sold by Deborah  I really like this simple idea of pieces of shaped fabric with a face added and voila you have a doll!  The polka dot and check legs and arms are adorable.


Cathy Applehead Doll Pattern & Tutorial   This doll is simply lovely, she kind of seems really quite grown up, maybe it's the long striper legs and long boots.

Here is Emily Burnette's version of the Black Apple Doll.
rag doll pattern
Here's a free doll pattern of what I would describe as a classic doll from my childhood (think Jemima from theBBC's cult classic Playschool - I'm really going back now).  This pattern is from MakeBabyStuff.Com.

These dolls all seem to be pretty much from the same type of pattern, it's simply 'all about the fabric', whether you use the body as a patterned fabric 'dress' or have a plain body and add a dress on top.  I'm definitely going to design and make some of the patterned body style with a view to maybe selling them on TheFabricMarketplace.com.

I hope you have enjoyed checking out some dolly ideas as much as I enjoyed rummaging through Pinterest.

Do you have any favourite dolly patterns?

12 comments:

Linda said...

I love making dolls! I make up my own patterns and love painting the faces. When I was a young mother, I made custom dolls and sold them to bring in extra money.
I'm sure your daughter will love her little doll to death! You did a great job!

My Beautiful World said...

Oh I love these so amazing you are so talented. So glad I found your beautiful blog I'm now following you so we can keep in touch. Happy 2012 my friend.

Always Wendy

Kandi said...

Aww adorable your make is beautiful! I remember having a topsy turvey doll when I was little, one side all dressed up one side shabby thinking back it must have been Cinderella.
Gorgeous.
Kandi x

Jenny said...

I've never made a doll or really had any inclination to make one either but your post has changed me Emma! I now want to make a doll! They are so cute... I'm imagining I could have a little doll sitting on my desk as I sew, will have to see what fabrics I could make one from tomorrow! Amelie II is gorgeous :) Sure she will be well loved xxx

Annie xx TheFeltFairy said...

Gosh you are clever, I have never made a doll but would love to try!

Linnhe Mara said...

What a great selection Emma. Strangely enough when my boys came across a similar doll a number of years back they said exactly the same. Must be a boy thing :o)

BLONDEDESIGN said...

your doll is so sweet, love the great selection of dolls! Kx

BLONDEDESIGN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Archie the wonder dog said...

What a great selection of dolls and I love the one you made. I'm sort of with your son though...kind of freaky when you can see both heads!!

Country Cottage Chic said...

Your doll is very sweet. I have a few vintage topsy-turvey dolls in my collection.

Jayne

Very Berry Handmade said...

Happy 2012 to you, I hope better times (or at least easier ones) are on their way to you. Gorgeous dolls - I love Amelie II, and Jemima especially.

Terri said...

Totally adorable dolls! Just looking at them all gets me itching to try one!
Hugs,
Terri