Thursday, 13 October 2011

Discovering Cloth Magazine At Ally Pally

Subscribe Today!
I was lucky enough to go to the Knitting & Stitching Show at Alexander Palace last week, and in between all the fabric and wool stands there were a few gems that I just have to share with you. 

The first is The Cloth Magazine, which had an intimate stand hosted by real people from the magazine, rather than sales people.

This is the delightful Tor who told me all the ins and outs about Cloth, her enthusiasm was positively contagious.

I hadn't really seen Cloth magazine before, at least it hadn't really caught my attention in the same way, but I was really quite excited when I heard the concept, 
  • Practical and easy-to-follow advice on clothes making and homeware, embellishing and updating your existing wardrobe from sewing a button to creating a brand new look. 
  • Make do and mend and the rejection of disposable fashion is important to us. We want to go back to the resourcefulness of our mothers’ and grandmothers’ generation where people would sew a button back on rather than throw something away. 
  • Recycling is important but we also want to have fun and encourage creativity and imagination. 
  • We don’t all want to look the same do we? Even if you do buy your clothes from the high street then why not customise it? We are inspired by vintage but not at any cost. 
  • We’re always looking for ways to save you money!"
In the Autumn Issue:
Dressmaker's Diary, Creative Editor Harriot de Winton dismantles her all time favourite dress to 'live on forever as a useful pattern template'.
I love this dress, I need to seek out the pattern.  The empire line is incredibly flattering!

Or, make your own Luxury Lighting.  I would love to make one of these for my daughter's bedroom with some lovely pink fabric.
And 3 fabulously easy bag tutorials (you can never have too many bag tutorials in my opinion).
On the website you can find:
Create four new looks!
Create Four New Looks.
dottie angel floral cover
Or this fab Dottie Angel Floral Cover.


It's great to find a magazine with lots of lovely recycling/up-cycle tutorials, projects and ideas for the novice and experienced seamstress.

The Creative Editors are Harriet de Winton and Ros Marshall, who share a passion for making stuff and constantly coming up with new and exciting ideas. Despite this they love suggestions and if you have anything that you think will be of interest to other Cloth readers.

You can email them on harriet@clothmagazine.co.uk or ros@clothmagazine.co.uk.  They may even showcase your project at clothmagazine.co.uk.

Definitely a website/magazine to check out for 'green' inspiration.



Which is your favourite sewing magazine?

4 comments:

Archie the wonder dog said...

Looks like a great magazine - thanks for sharing!

A Time for Stitching said...

I've seen this magazine in the shops, but like you, it hasn't really caught my attention. I didn't realise that their ethos was about making do and upcycling. I may have to check out an issue or 2. Thanks for the info.
Teresa x

Annie xx TheFeltFairy said...

That looks like a great mag hun! Like the lampshade cover!

ruby said...

I have bought this from a fair last year but can't buy it in the shops :(, I love mollie makes, its so now and upto date x