Friday, 11 February 2011

How Do You Make A Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt?


Vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden at mimisrecycledesigns, Etsy
Have you ever thought of making a Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt?  My Grandma showed me how to English Paper Piece when I was a little girl, but I never found the time to just 'chillax' and do it.

Another reason for my delay for not making it yet is that I just don't have an eye for colour.  I know what I like the look of but I just don't know how to design it in the first place.  I have thought of Michael Miller's Honey Bee to echo the hexagons but is that simply too obvious?  So here are some I found that really inspire me.

Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt at Rusticcountryframes, Etsy
Don't you want to just hop straight into bed and snooooze!!!!.....
These colours are great, they give a brilliant idea how to work the contrasting pattern with solids.

1930s Reproduction PRECUT Grandmothers Flower Garden
Quilt Top Kit at PoppyPlantation, Etsy


I do prefer the 'traditional' flower design, but I love these bright colours and it's good to know there are kits out there for the inexperienced quilter like me.

February Violets Table Runner Quit Pattern at reezehanson, Etsy

This is only a Table Runner but I love the colours, very calming.


How stunning are they?  I have 500x 10cm paper ready cut Hexagons in my stash waiting for the day I finally relax and do some patchwork when the kids are in bed.  I bought mine from thejaxcollection Ebay.





If you want to learn how to English Paper Piece check out a Fantastic Tutorial over at sunshine creations.

And a great Tutorials over at Quilter's Muse Quilting Museum and Doodle Head on how to arrange/layout your pieces - both very helpful!

Do let me know what you think.  Have you made a Grandmothers Flower Garden Quilt?  Are there any fabrics you could suggest?


Have a great weekend!


Quick PS: If you have a blog, love fabric and want to share your creations, OR love blog hopping.....The most lovely Rita, from Red Pepper Quilts has a Master list of blogs to browse, find inspiration and admire the creativity...Pop on over HERE and check it out.

8 comments:

Peach Rainbow said...

They are all lovely :)

Linnhe Mara said...

I started one many years ago ...... and ended up with a pin cushion! I think by the time I had cut all of my hexagon paper pieces out of old magazines I had lost the deire to cut them out of fabric. I only managed two flowers by which point I gave up, stitched them together and stuffed them. The upside is I still use the pincushion :o)

Chloe' said...

ohh wow! My auntie just gave me a vintage quilting & patchwork book =D it's from the Good Housekeeping set. I have a feeling it may be a while untill i get round all 40 patterns it has in there! The ones you've found are gorgeous!
I tried patchwork with leather last year.. it took ages but it came out beautiful, still can't decide on what to do with it though =)
it's here:
http://littlegreenshoot.blogspot.com/2010/01/show-and-tell-honeycomb-patchwork.html

i hope you'll blog your progress when you get started, maybe i'll give it a try too!

oh1 just found this in my book.. about the kind of fabric you need =)

"good quality, closely woven dressweight cottons work best. Avoid synthetic & stretchy fabrics. Tweeds & courdroys work well, but don't mix heavy fabric with light. Always wash fabric first to test colour fastness & shrinkage"

sorry about the essay! =P
hope it helps though!

Chloe x

Celine said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for your comments. Flowers and hexies are obviously on our mind. Maybe it is the horrible weather in London.... waiting for the return of Spring and sunshine...
Good luck with your Grandmother Flower Garden quilt when you get to it.

Jenny said...

Beautiful quilts, would be an amazing achievement to make one, you should definitely give it a go if you can find the time (and patience)! p.s sending you some virtual biscuits, am not sure they would stand up to being posted! xxx

Emma Thomsen said...

Thanks for the virtual biscuits Jenny, they were yummy! Thanks for dropping by Celine, the weather in London is very horrible! Chloe thanks for all the tips and references, I will definitely check them out! Hi Linnhe, that's the joy of ready cut hexies, half the boring job done (is that really bad cheating???). I agree Peach Rainbow, they are lovely - oh to own one!!!!

Michael said...

Do you do weed control fabric too?

Emma Thomsen said...

Thanks for dropping by Michael, I feel such a twit - for a moment I thought ooh I've not heard of that one'! LOL XD