Tuesday, 19 October 2010

How to make a Clothkits Dolls Dress. Amelie & Violet are Both Very Happy!

I have finally managed to get round to making Violet a dress.
  • You may recall a few weeks ago I made this super doll from Clothkits for my daughter Amelie, but we didn't have time to also make her a dress so she has been galavanting around in her undies.
  • Amelie is delighted with Violet's new dress, although she has asked me to make her a friend called Lily!
  • I love Clothkits, they are so easy to follow - although it hasn't been without it's hiccups!....
So here are the pieces, "Emma Thomsen, this is you mission should you wish to accept it, make poor Violet a dress".
To begin with, sew the binding round her collar.
Binding attached - tick!
Sew binding on the skirt - Tick!
At a crucial moment I realised I had cut out the wrong sleeves, noticing the more ornate ones just in the nick of time!
Sew elastic into cuff.
Tick!
Pull elastic through to gather the cuffs - Tick!
Sew sleeves onto bodice.
First sleeve - Tick!
Both sleeves - tick
Attach front panel of skirt to bodice.
Front skirt panel attached - Tick!
Attach back of skirt to back of bodice - Tick!
Hand sew poppas to back of dress.
Poppas attached and pressed together - Tick!
This is where things went a little 'pear shaped', not sure how but my 4 year old son did something to my sewing machine and it has temporarily 'died' on me.  So I had to attach the front and back of the dress by hand sewing the side seams, all was not lost.  Tick!
Mission Complete - TICK!
Violet Happy - Tick! (and Amelie too).

I hope you enjoyed following me in the joys of making a simple doll's dress.  If you want to try your hand at making a doll and clothes for a special little girl check out Clothkits for more fantastic patterns, including clothes as well as soft toys.

Thanks for dropping by! :)

9 comments:

Danielle said...

That is so sweet, Emma! Well done!!! :)

Emma Thomsen said...

Thanks Danielle, there's always great satisfaction when I make something for the children, ;)

louise35flower said...

So pretty! My 13 year old daughter bought the Kiki doll with a dress from the Knitting and Stitching Show, managed it totally on her own, the patterns are so clever!

Fat Chick Design said...

Yay!
I want the dress in my size!
It's very sweet.
I know a little story about Cloth Kits...
My friends used to work there back in the 70's, and offer the cutting tables they fell in love and got married and had babies and dressed them all in cloth kit clothes!
Altogether now, aaaaaawwwwwww!
Bonnie
:)

Emma Thomsen said...

Hi Louise35flower, they are very clever kits. I can't wait for Amelie to be old enough to make one on her own!

Hi Bonnie, I so love that story. Whenever I do a Clothkit item I always get great comments about everyone's experiences of Clothkits. It's like an institution. ;)

Country Cottage Chic said...

How sweet she is!

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

Love this! The dress fabric is lovely .. makes me want a dress like that in my size.

Emma Thomsen said...

Hi, Country Cottage, she is SO sweet, Amelie thinks the world of her! Maybe Itchin'Stitchin' we should write to Clothkits and ask for a 'grown up' version, Bonnie of Fat Chick Design asked the same thing! :)

Deb said...

Hadn't heard of Clothkits so had to google it!! What a great concept! I bet Amelie loves Violet's new dress. She'll be dressing her and undressing her for hours on end now :-)