Friday, 15 October 2010

I'm Dreaming of a Funky Christmas Fabric.... Traditional Fabrics Need Not Apply!


Alexander Henry's Merry Moderns from SewLoveChristmas, Etsy
  • Christmas fabrics don't tend to get me drooling, so I decided my mission, should I wish to accept it, was to find some Yule Tide textiles with the Wow! factor.  
  • My first choice, Merry Moderns from Alexander Henry caught my eye because that is so how I wish myself  to be Christmas Day.  But with 3 children under 7 you can imagine I am far less poised!

Candy Coloured Christmas at TheNeedleShop, Etsy
I love this fabric, all the traditional colours but with the 'doodle' style design makes it look more hand drawn and not mass produced.
Christmas Time Animals from LoveBugOriginals, Etsy
More Alexander Henry fabric, they do very well producing fabric with more funk!  This one would be great for a child's Christmas Stocking.
All I Want For Christmas at ThreeRiversFabric, Etsy
I have included this piece with my tongue placed very firmly in my cheek, it is so Kitsch I just had to include it.
Lecien's Holiday Happy at SewDeerlyLoved at Etsy
I had to include Monica of Happy Zombie's Happy Holiday fabric.  You may recall it was my first Giveaway and most of the comments were that Christmas fabrics weren't at the top of their stash wish list, but this design 'hits the nail on the wish list head' perfectly.
How we wish our jolly Christmas shopping to be, unfortunately reality is a little different - at least for me.
021
I have been spying this fabric for a while now as the designer, Aneela Hoey, has been Blogging about it and made a darling quilt with the fabric. Strictly speaking it's not a Christmas or even winter fabric but the colours and flapping scarves just makes me feel all Christmassy. Unfortunately it's not available to buy until April 2011! :( Aneela's blogging about it makes the wait more bearable.
Christmas Cubes
Christmas Cubes by PattySloniger at Spoonflower
I love this fabric simply how it makes my eyes go funny, so a kind of optical illusion. 

And now for a bit of Vintage, I'm constantly aware that I don't Blog about vintage fabric enough so I'll trying to make up for it here.
Vintage Nutcracker Sewing Project from BillyandWinston, Etsy
My children would love me to buy and make this, they are big fans of The Nutcracker Suite (the Tom & Jerry version).
Vintage Pine Cone Fabric at Dreaming Of Sewing, Etsy
I wish I had found this fabric when I did my E is for Evergreen feature, well at least I found it eventually.  It almost looks hand painted, a really charming piece.
60s Vintage Bauble Fabric at DayGloDiva, Etsy
Wowser!  There is something about this fabric that reminds me of fabric from the Designers Guild.

I think I can say Mission Complete, my Dream of Funky Christmas Fabric will come true!  My favourite has to be the first piece, Merry Moderns as I so want that to be me at Christmas.  Which piece is your favourite?

As always, if you are inspired and wish to buy click on the picture heading to buy.  Thanks for dropping by! :)

7 comments:

Fat Chick Design said...

That is more like it!
I am not a fan of twee Christmas fabric at all, this is a real treat.
Top marks again Emma!
Bonnie
:)

Leila said...

that all I want for christmas fabric is hilarious! I know just who to make something for with this ;-)

Debs said...

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of some fab Christmas fabrics. I've been looking for this sort of thing for years - now I know just where to get some from!

Country Cottage Chic said...

You have found some super festive fabrics!

Jayne

Emma Thomsen said...

Thank you all for dropping by, I really appreciate your comments. I'm so glad I've given you some fabric inspiration! ;)

Jean said...

Such great Christmas fabric! Love your post.

Emma Thomsen said...

Hi Jean, thanks for dropping by. glad you like the post! :)