Friday, 20 August 2010

Town Fabric By Lucie Summers




I just had to add something by Lucie Summers a fabric designer trading as Summersville, a UK Seller on Etsy.  "This new design, 'town', is an extension of my best selling 'avenue' design.  It has been screenprinted by hand in my studio."  The small design makes it ideal for small projects such as zip purses, fabric cover buttons, patchwork and cushions.  If you want some just pop along to Summersville


Through posting on her blog Blu-Shedand listing on Etsy, she has come to the attention of several Art Directors, which has led to commissions for a variety of exciting jobs - food packaging for Frito Lay, a book cover for Storey Publishing and a range of stationery for Galison in New York.

Most recently I have been invited to participate in 'The Incredible Print Show' currently being held at Artstream Studios in New Hampshire for which I created a limited edition range of screenprinted panels.
Here are some more of her fresh and fun prints...


Sweetheart

Plantlife

Avenue

Scandi

Lucie was a Featured Seller on Etsy, here is a piece from the interview :
What first made you want to become an artist.
I've always made things - as a little girl I would renovate my dolls house and decorate it in ticking stripes and tiny florals with matchbox beds and matchstick curtain poles.
I come from line of creative women - I grew up watching my mum make the most amazing clothes and furnishings, and she learnt from her mother. She's also a quiltmaker and prizewinning long-arm quilter - her workmanship and eye for colour and detail is something else she passed down to me.
Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.
Having two small boys means I can't spend all day every day creating (sadly). So I grab time whenever I can - while the dinner is cooking, while the boys are playing happily.
I like to design in the evenings watching TV with a fine black pen and paper - all my designs are hand drawn, i do nothing with them on the computer at all, it's just me and a photocopier!
I generally print in the mornings - I use water based inks and a cotton base cloth that looks like linen but has a softer handle.
I tend to take product shots in the afternoon then edit them straight away and I list my items in the early evenings before the boys go up for a bath. It all gets done somehow!
What handmade possession do you most cherish?
My little wooden animals my brother made for me in his woodwork class at school. He was about 12 and I was 6. The elephants often make it into my product shots.








Lastly Lucie used her fabric to make a quilt for 'the festival of quilts' which was at Birmingham NEC (organised by Twisted Thread) at the end of August 2010, and it won in it's category 'group quilts' (Lucie pieced the quilt and her Mum quilted it)







No comments: